On June 3rd at noon (or maybe a little earlier) we will open up an introduction forum for the Spring Games MOOC.
In the Summer Games MOOC introduction forum, feel free to use a screen name and also give us your real name. You may see vocabulary that is new to you. There may also be popular culture, comic book or gaming references that you are unfamiliar with. Either ask someone in the forums (we 're more than happy to help) or google it. That's what gamers do all the time!
We are leaving up the forums from the last three Games MOOCs as we had many requests for this. We will not be moderating this discussions, instead new ones will go up starting at noon on June 3rd.
1) Gatehouse - Introductions 2) Mission Central - Weekly Discussions 3) Tavern - General Discussion and Questions about the MOOC 4) Town Hall - Events, Organization and Looking for Collaborators
We do have badges!
We are offering three badges through the Games MOOC. We will be issuing these into Mozilla's Open Badge Project. These badges are optional. But if you are looking for an assessment of your work or a form of certification this is done through pursuing one or all of these three badges. Participation each week in discussions, social media and then a final project is required.
Weekly activities, discussions, reading, resources, events and games will be up on each week's overview page.
The general flow of the course will be (subject to be a bit of tweaking)
1) Monday noon - Weekly Overview over Google Hangout
2) Monday noon - material for the week goes live.
3) Wednesday evening 7 pm MT (Denver) there will be a 60 minute tweetchat using the #gamemooc hashtag
4) Thursday evening 7 pm MT Games Based Learning presentation, panel or discussion livestreamed over Google Hangout (the one exception will be Thursday, April 11th - we'll do it on Tuesday that week.)
We will have additional livestreamed events and will add them to each week as we have the opportunity.
There is no requirement to attend the live events and we will record as many as we possibly can.
YES - we do have awards for each week! Please look at the descriptions! Some are weekly, some are occasional and some are only once during this MOOC.
You may be only planning to participate to be able to identify networks in the topic areas or to lurk to get feel for the topic area. Any level of participation is encouraged!
Social Media for the Course
We have a number of social media sites that you may join or follow. Please go to the Social Media page to see these.