Notify Message
Forums
Page 1
Search
#6505586 Aug 06, 2012 at 07:47 AM · Edited 6 years ago
Guild Officer
354 Posts
Alternative Reality Games... has anyone played any? Has anyone incorporated one into a class?
twitter @kzenovka
www.center4edupunx
Games MOOC Instructor and Designer
Google + gamesmooc@gmail.com



+0
#6506819 Aug 06, 2012 at 12:50 PM
Cataclysmic
128 Posts
There is an iPhone ARG game where you shoot invading space aliens. I've been curious about it, but haven't tried it for fear of looking like an idiot ;-)

A recent proposal I've made (in an in-press article) was to use ARG and LBS (location based services) as a way to engage students in campus, including extracurricular academic programs.

I should see what the status of that article is :-)
--------
Feel free to call me "AK"
Blog: http://idstuff.blogspot.com
LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/koutropoulos
@koutropoulos
+0
#6514995 Aug 07, 2012 at 09:20 PM
Initiate
5 Posts
Hi, I've developed a social studies educational ARG as a prototype for future ARGs on other subject areas. Here is the splash page for the prototype, which I've just finished running at a summer workshop: http://www.shoyu.com/arg/v04/. I can provide more information about the game if you'd like to message me.

My nonprofit organization (GameTrain Learning) is also developing a design framework for educational ARGs, which I can share later on.

Thanks, and looking forward to hearing about other educational ARG projects that are going on.
Game-Based Learning Designer
GameTrain Learning, Inc.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/randyfuj
+1
#6515239 Aug 07, 2012 at 10:17 PM
Curator
69 Posts
#6514995 randyfuj wrote:

Hi, I've developed a social studies educational ARG as a prototype for future ARGs on other subject areas. Here is the splash page for the prototype, which I've just finished running at a summer workshop: http://www.shoyu.com/arg/v04/. I can provide more information about the game if you'd like to message me.

My nonprofit organization (GameTrain Learning) is also developing a design framework for educational ARGs, which I can share later on.

Thanks, and looking forward to hearing about other educational ARG projects that are going on.

'

Thanks for posting The history game looks intriguing. Can you say more about the expected learning outcomes, design process, and results?
**************************************************
Twitter: @chris_saeger
Profile: http://www.nasaga.org/profile/chrissaeger
Course Dashboard: http://www.netvibes.com/csaeger#Game_Mooc
**************************************************
in the beginner's mind the possibilities are many.
+0
#6515445 Aug 07, 2012 at 11:08 PM · Edited 6 years ago
Consigliere
61 Posts
Reading Jane McGonigal's explanation of ARG, as well as Educause's article that suggests ARGs involve mobile computing, gave me an idea for implementing ARGs; Ask students to create "pretend" websites and animated videos that drop virtual clues for solving a problem (I'm impressed and inspired by Chris Luchs' ARGs designed for his business classes). For example, I just created this video as part of my presentation for Sept. 21, 2012 CCCOnline Conference, and I just realized that I can teach students to create "rabbit hole" style animated videos (to get the adventure rolling, or as a video "tour guide" through each checkpoint of game play):

"Sunny Days and Penguin Death" by Sherry Jones
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SC51StxtmY&feature=player_embedded

Think of the videos as quest announcers, or animated infographics (which is what I was trying to make). In any case, I can use ARG as a jumping point (good excuse) to let students experiment with a variety of medium that allow them to create clues and lead their classmates through game play. I have to think a little bit more about assignment design, but it's getting there. ;)

Too many ideas (can I teach 4 different styles of game classes at the same time???)
Sherry Jones
Mind Erasure (aka Sherry Jones)
See my Visual Bio!!
+1
#6515955 Aug 08, 2012 at 01:50 AM
Initiate
5 Posts
#6515239 christopher wrote:

Thanks for posting The history game looks intriguing. Can you say more about the expected learning outcomes, design process, and results?



Hi Christopher,

Thanks, you can see my research on the first iteration of the game here: http://fullerton.academia.edu/RandallFujimoto/Papers/201414/Designing_An_Educational_Alternate_Reality_Game

--Randall
Game-Based Learning Designer
GameTrain Learning, Inc.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/randyfuj
+0
#6517769 Aug 08, 2012 at 09:40 AM
Curator
69 Posts
#6515955 randyfuj wrote:


... you can see my research on the first iteration of the game here: http://fullerton.academia.edu/RandallFujimoto/Papers/201414/Designing_An_Educational_Alternate_Reality_Game
--Randall


Thanks randyfuj, this looks really interesting. Moving it to my tablet to give it a read.
Chris
**************************************************
Twitter: @chris_saeger
Profile: http://www.nasaga.org/profile/chrissaeger
Course Dashboard: http://www.netvibes.com/csaeger#Game_Mooc
**************************************************
in the beginner's mind the possibilities are many.
+0
#6518728 Aug 08, 2012 at 12:49 PM
Curator
69 Posts
Thinking about forms of ARGs. This is an article from Fastcompany Mag. from back in 1997 about a kind of ARG played in person at a retreat center. The organization that does this also has a two day workshop that I attended, the workshop is a scaled down version of the experience described in this article. The workshop is still an evocative experience with power in organizations.

Power Camp
BY ELIZABETH WEIL | AUGUST 31, 1997

"Out on the edge of the continent, on the site of a former evangelical retreat, there's a camp where businesspeople confront issues of power and authority inside organizations -- issues fundamental to the world of work. Upon arrival, participants forfeit their corporate identities. Upon departure, they lose sleep, crash cars, leave jobs. Here the rules of engagement are different, the mental and physical demands extreme. People who attend say it's the weirdest place they've ever been. They say it's just like their company."
**************************************************
Twitter: @chris_saeger
Profile: http://www.nasaga.org/profile/chrissaeger
Course Dashboard: http://www.netvibes.com/csaeger#Game_Mooc
**************************************************
in the beginner's mind the possibilities are many.
+0
#6519710 Aug 08, 2012 at 03:36 PM
Initiate
5 Posts
Hi Christopher,

Good, interesting article - thanks for sharing!

--Randall
Game-Based Learning Designer
GameTrain Learning, Inc.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/randyfuj
+0
#6535307 Aug 11, 2012 at 09:41 PM
Guides
82 Posts
You have so many good ideas! It's certainly making my heard spin to think about practical matters of implementation. What are your students like? Could you involve them in the applications, implementations, and assignment parameters?

Beth

#6515445 Mind Erasure wrote:

Reading Jane McGonigal's explanation of ARG, as well as Educause's article that suggests ARGs involve mobile computing, gave me an idea for implementing ARGs; Ask students to create "pretend" websites and animated videos that drop virtual clues for solving a problem (I'm impressed and inspired by Chris Luchs' ARGs designed for his business classes). For example, I just created this video as part of my presentation for Sept. 21, 2012 CCCOnline Conference, and I just realized that I can teach students to create "rabbit hole" style animated videos (to get the adventure rolling, or as a video "tour guide" through each checkpoint of game play):

"Sunny Days and Penguin Death" by Sherry Jones
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SC51StxtmY&feature=player_embedded

Think of the videos as quest announcers, or animated infographics (which is what I was trying to make). In any case, I can use ARG as a jumping point (good excuse) to let students experiment with a variety of medium that allow them to create clues and lead their classmates through game play. I have to think a little bit more about assignment design, but it's getting there. ;)

Too many ideas (can I teach 4 different styles of game classes at the same time???)
Sherry Jones

Beth Davies-Stofka, Ph.D.
twitter: eirwenes
+0
Page 1